Sunday, March 9, 2014

postimpressionism#2

       Postimpressionism: Van Gogh (modern art #2)

“The imagination is certainly a faculty which we must develop, one which alone can lead us to a more exalting and consoling nature than the single brief glance at reality – which in our sight is ever changing, passing like the flash of lighting – can let us perceive.” Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890) letter to Emile Bernard, from Arles April 1888.

     For all Van Gogh’s letter writing the most insight into his theories on art notably came from his time in Arles, lasting from February 1888 until May 1889. A break from a hectic and distracting previous few years in Paris was well needed and the Yellow House in Arles was fruitful and ideal for him to put to practice his theories on art to which he had discussed and listened to in Paris. Similar to Cézanne, Van Gogh also held a high regard for the then aged only 18 but intellectually appealing Emile Bernard, the following exert from a letter to him from Vincent provides explanation of an artists ongoing convictions.
    “However hateful painting may be, and however cumbersome in the times we live in, if anyone who has chosen this handicraft pursues it zealously, he is a man of duty, sound and faithful. Society makes our existence wretchedly difficult at times, hence our impotence and the imperfection of our work. I believe that even Gauguin himself suffers greatly under it too, and cannot develop his powers, although it is he to do it. I myself am suffering under a lack of models. But on the other hand there are beautiful spots here. I have done 5 size 30 canvases, olive trees. And the reason I am staying on here is that my health is improving a great deal. What I am doing is hard, dry, but that is because I am trying to gather new strength by doing some rough work, and I’m afraid abstractions would make me soft.”

     Vincent’s theories on art were constantly being put to his brother Theo, on colour he writes, “instead of trying to reproduce exactly what I see before my eyes, I use colour more arbitrarily, in order to express myself forcibly.” Later he adds onto the nature of portraiture, “”and in a picture I want to say something comforting, as music is comforting, I want to paint men and women with that something of the eternal which the halo used to symbolise, and which we seek to convey by the actual radiance and vibration of our colouring. Van Gogh constantly referred to his art linked to music in the way that a painter could move the viewer as an orchestra playing Wagner would move a listener. In theory one could be lead to the conclusion that Vincent Van Gogh mastered the art of suggestive colouring.



No comments:

Post a Comment